Monday 20 August 2018

Discovering Computer Coding


I've always been really amused by how a person can manipulate and direct the superior intelligence of a computer using buttons or keys or settings.

When I was first introduced to coding in the first year of college, a whole new world opened for me and my interests.
It's so interesting how you can change the way a certain computer displays data or the way it processes it. I never even knew computer programming existed. I thought computers just...work...I don't know how...Hardware and Software. I had no idea of the vast numbers of software engineers and programmers who were behind writing the code and testing it. 

Like God always tells me, "Buckle up, Pearl, I'm going to extend your boundaries." My world certainly extended when I discovered this whole new world of writing code. (Can you hear Alladin singing "A Whole New World" in the background? I know I can)

It was amazing. And even after so many years, I still know so little. But that's the beauty of learning...You'll never know it all, so the curiosity and mystery continues for eternity. 

So far I only know HTML, CSS (which is sort of a part of HTML) and a little C++.
But I'm willing to learn so much more if time permits. 

It's always going to be strange for a Humanities student to be this interested in computer programming because I can't really major in it without starting my college life from the very beginning in the science stream. 

But where there's a will there's a way, right? 

I've used HTML coding to change the formatting of my blog before. I found using theoretical knowledge in a practical way very fun. 
There's something about tags and functions that really get to me, you know? In life too, I like knowing the rules, it saves you from a lot of unnecessary trouble. Plus, it's probably there for a reason. Though for the kind of person I am, I always try to find those reasons.

 Computer Programming is very similar to many other subjects. It's like English, some sentences use the same format, the same words...but how you use it to tell your story/thoughts is a skill that needs to be developed by learning to manipulate your adjectives, verbs and nouns.

 Codes are like building blocks for your castle. And I want an amazing castle. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment