Monday 13 September 2021

The Ecstasy of Letter Writing + A Letter Was Received (Poems)


With the letters that I wrote 

I put heartfelt words in a quote 

Dear friends & family, near & dear

I hope these letters bring you good cheer


From stickers & cut-outs of magazines

I create art with ribbons in between

Folding it, I place it in an envelope,

Wishing this also helps you'll cope


I think of the journey this letter will take

Perhaps across streets, vehicles, seas & lakes

I scribble on the addresses

And forget all of my stresses


Finally, the stamp I then place

Thinking of the smile on your face

I take a long walk to the post office

Handing the letters, I am so glad that I'm delirious


Post Script: 

This was a unforeseen surprise I got few hours after I published and shared my initial poem. 

This poem written by one of my good friends, Rishabh Jaiswal, was inspired by the above poem that I wrote. These two poems are like two sides of a coin, in the way it highlights perspectives of the letter writer and the letter receiver, which I found so profound that I just needed to publish this as well. Like a sequel to my poem.
Following is the poem he wrote back to me: 

"A Letter was received"
By Rishabh Jaiswal

I received a letter, a friend wrote to me
And the words in it sent me in a state of glee

I had many things to do, but I didn't pay them heed
I left everything aside just to give it a read

O! the magic in her words, nothing could be better
The letter she wrote to me is about writing a letter.



No comments:

Post a Comment