Thursday 6 September 2018

How I began writing (as a hobby)


These days I am thinking about my past a lot. This one isn't necessary a good memory but everything turned out great for me.

And so the back-story begins...
When I was in the 6th std (or so), our school decided to start publishing a school magazine. And like any of the kids who assumed they were good at English, I decided to sign up for the Editorial Team. It was a fad and a very convenient way to miss classes as a truckload of the work they were about to do would happen during school hours. Also I just wanted to fit in with them cause I thought they were cool.

The teacher in charge held a sort of test by which she would shortlist a few students from the rest to actually be part of this team.
We had to write an imaginary essay on "I got stuck in an elevator and...". 

Now, I wrote a good essay (My 10 year old self thought). But I guess my good wasn't good enough  to them. And then, the next day or so.....the results came in. I didn't get selected.

The way they rejected me also was terrible. All I remember was.....that teacher and 2 or 3 students grinning and telling me that...."No, you're a dreadful writer and you've not been selected for the editorial team."

I was embarrassed, disappointed and greatly angry at them. 
So I decided that I would start writing a personal diary. And I did. Every time I saw those girls go for their editorial team work and saw them happily postponing their work for cracking jokes...I wrote my envy and jealousy down in paper. The editorial team was like the elite class of school and I was the peasant. It was like my world fell apart. 


But I continued writing in my diary. It's been half a decade since I first started. 
Reading through my old diaries I realize how much I've improved in the quality of my writing thanks to that incident. I would've never gotten so good if I wasn't rejected from the Editorial Team. If I read out my first diary's entries to you, you would probably not be able to understand anything.(Even I don't). 
Unless of course you understand gibberish cause that's the closest I can describe my writing back then. 
I guess it's one of those moments of your past which you look back and think to yourself like, "Damn, that hurt but I wouldn't change it for anything."

It's been a process since then. And I'm still improving. My ability to write out my thoughts have become much clearer and the way I perceive life has sharpened. I remember my day more precisely than I used to and the way I talk too has changed....my sentences are more thought of at least.
Language is impactful and the way we say things matter too. It's a skill worth investing your time in. And the returns are plentiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment